The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research, and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international, and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Computer Science in the Faculty of Science is looking for a full-time (100%) doctoral scholarship holder in the field of artificial intelligence for bioinformatics.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis in the field of artificial intelligence under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Wout Bittremieux.
- You will build on recent advances in artificial intelligence to develop deep neural network models for the analysis of molecular data. You will develop algorithmic and high-performance computing solutions to derive novel biological insights from large-scale mass spectrometry metabolomics data and study the role of small molecules as fundamental building blocks of life.
- You will be part of the Adrem Data Lab, an internationally renowned research group known for its contributions to the theory as well as practical application of data sciences, and Biomina (biomedical informatics research network Antwerp), a multidisciplinary network that brings data science technology and challenges in life sciences and biomedicine together.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks for the Bittremieux Lab, such as assisting practical teaching sessions and supervising Bachelor and Master students in the group.
- You hold a Master degree in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Bioinformatics, Chemistry, Biology, Biomedical Sciences, or related fields, or you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Foreign candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp's educational vision.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity, and cooperation.
- You have excellent programming skills (Python preferred, knowledge of additional programming languages is a plus) and have a keen interest in machine learning, big data analytics, and their application in the life sciences.
- You have excellent oral and written communication skills, have an inquisitive mindset, and have strong interpersonal skills. You are fully fluent in English.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed for another two years.
- The planned start date is 1 September 2023.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance, and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Middelheim in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp's online job application platform up to and including 19 March 2023 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a strong motivation letter, a detailed academic CV, and two recommendation letters or contact information of two scientific references.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Interviews of the candidates, after a preselection by the selection committee, will take place in April 2023.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Dr. Wout Bittremieux (firstname.lastname@example.org) with as email subject "DOCPRO AI for bioinformatics."