Protein Analysis Technical Expert
Jealotts Hill, Bracknell, United Kingdom
About Syngenta: Syngenta is a leading agrochemicals company; dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 30,000 employees in more than 100 countries work together to solve one of humanity’s most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture.
Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. No matter what your position, you will have a vital role in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. Join us now and help shape the future of agriculture.
The role: An exciting opportunity to develop your science career in the application of mass spectrometry-based proteomics. To add value to the team you will have experience in sample preparation and LC-MS based quantitative proteomics to solve complex biological questions. Within our laboratory you will work on a variety of projects supporting Crop Protection and Seeds businesses. Projects require application of a variety of quantitative methodologies including, proteome-wide protein expression and post-translational modification profiling to fully characterize biological systems, chemical proteomics approaches to characterize novel mode-of-actions, and targeted quantification of endogenous and transgenic proteins.
• The successful candidate will work as part of the Protein Analysis Team using state of the art discovery and targeted mass spectrometry workflows.
• Work in a multidisciplinary environment to provide innovative analytical solutions to support projects across R+D, often working to tight deadlines and changing requirements.
• Independently, identify and develop methods and experimental techniques to meet project objectives.
• Keep abreast of technological advances in protein mass spectrometry, chromatography, data processing and informatics systems.
• Prepare clear reports and presentations as necessary in order to communicate results. • Prepare samples from complex biological matrixes including insects, plants and fungi.
• Run and maintain LC-MS equipment. • Have excellent communication and numeracy skills.
Experience & Skills: • Qualified to PhD level in Biological Chemistry, Biochemistry, or a related discipline, or the equivalent work experience. • Knowledge of sample preparation for various mass spectrometry-based proteomic workflows. • Hands on experience of instrument set-up and data-acquisition for global and targeted mass spectrometry approaches. • Data analysis experience using different proteomic software including some of the following, MaxQuant, Perseus, Proteome Discoverer, Spectronaut, and Skyline. • Ability and desire to work as part of a team and to work without technical supervision. • Well organized to manage a variety of projects, ranging in complexity with different deadlines.
At Syngenta will offer:
• Competitive benefits package including opportunities for flexible working.
• Up to 31.5 days annual holiday.
• Interaction with external researchers and opportunities to represent Syngenta in research networks, collaborations and conferences.
• Good onsite facilities including a staff restaurant, a gym and fitness classes.
• Campus environment based at Jealott’s Hill located in the Berkshire countryside between Bracknell and Maidenhead.
• Great opportunities for personal and career development.
• A modern, stimulating and dynamic working environment which promotes diversity and inclusion, scientific excellence and collaboration.
• A job and responsibilities with purpose at state-of-the-art facilities within a world class R&D campus site.
We embrace and encourage diversity, and this is what drives our innovation and lets us outperform the market. https://www.syngenta.com/careers/working-syngenta/diversity-and-inclusion